Christmas music has been filling our home and I’m enjoying the cozy glow from our tree right now as I type. This is my favorite holiday and I’m finally feeling in the Christmas spirit. All the shopping is done and we’re preparing to make holiday cookies to send home. I’m somewhat dreading the post office. The line of cars waiting to get into the post office parking lot today was out of control!
Today I’m sharing with you a new dessert bite recipe. I was playing around with dessert bites and my husband requested that I make some that, “taste like Christmas”. He approved so I gave them another whirl with just a few tweaks and here it is!
This recipe is vegan, gluten free, nightshade free, and kid-friendly. These are great to whip up before a holiday party! Roll them in some colored sugar or plain coarse ground sugar for a nice twinkle.
- 1 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup pitted medjool dates
- 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- OPTIONAL: 3/4 tsp finely ground coffee
- OPTIONAL: unsweetened shredded coconut for rolling
Method Yield: 10-12 bites
- Add first 5 (or 6 if you want coffee!) ingredients to bowl of food processor fitted with the blade attachment and grind for about 20 seconds or so.
- Roll into balls, your choice of size.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- I made the initial recipe without coffee, rolled out 6 bites, then added 1/4 tsp + 1/8 tsp coffee in for the rest.
- If you make half the recipe with coffee and the other half without I suggest rolling one of the versions in shredded coconut to tell them apart, especially if you have kids who will eat them or you’re bringing to a party.
- The coffee flavor is definitely present, but not overwhelming. If you didn’t know it was in there you might be left wondering what the extra flavor is coming through.
That’s it! So simple and easy. Happy eating!