The other week I had this fig cake thing from Whole Foods that had walnuts and hazelnuts in it and it was sooooo good. It only had 3 ingredients too, which was almost the best part…almost. The taste was definitely the best part. Dried figs and nuts – delish! That “fig cake” is what gave me the idea for these dessert bites. Honestly, after I had that little slice of fig cake (that lasted me about 3 days!) I couldn’t get dried figs off my mind. Sweet, soft, chewy, and just a bit crunchy with the seeds…..I want some right now!!
So these aren’t the exact same, but are equally delicious. My husband likened them to a certain newton some of us grew up eating. They are definitely healthier than those newtons and cheaper too. Using dates will cut down on cost, but if you want to, use all dried figs! I know that would be equally as yum. So without further ado – the recipe!
Ingredients *Yield ~18-20 balls (depending on size)
- 1/2 cup dried black figs
- 1/2 cup medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup unsalted (or lightly salted) cashews
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- rounded 1/2 tbsp unrefined coconut oil, softened
- Measure nuts and fruit
- Dump nuts & fruit into bowl of your food processor
- Add in vanilla, spices, and coconut oil and process until combined
- Don’t be tempted to add more oil! If it’s too dry, at a splash of water.
- Roll into balls slightly smaller than ping pong ball size
- Share & Enjoy!
- These will firm up in the fridge. Just store them in an airtight container.
- Make sure to check the dried figs for a bit of stem still left on and cut off if necessary.