Do you like zucchini? It’s so versatile. You can make sweet quick breads, fritters, chips, or put it in casseroles. I never had it very much as a kid. I do have a couple very distinct memories of my mom shredding zucchini and putting it in a colander with a 28oz can of crushed tomatoes on top. I think she was making fitters or zucchini bread. Mmmmmm…fritters…. I actually have made some pretty tasty zucchini fritters myself! Maybe I’ll get that recipe sorted and post it soon too. Zucchini is in season afterall.
All this talk about zucchini fritters has me hungry! This recipe is a tad healthier than zucchini fritters though. Well, maybe quite a bit healthier. This side dish is super simple, fast, and delicious as well as being oil-free and vegan.
- 2 medium zucchini
- 6 medium sized white or brown mushrooms
- 1/2 small onion, large chop (optional)
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- juice from half a lemon
- salt & pepper (white pepper is nice if you have it)
Method (2 servings)
- Trim ends off zucchini and cut in half, then cut those halves into spears
- Cut mushrooms into 4ths or 6ths, depending on the size of your shrooms.
- Add zucchini, mushrooms, and chopped onion (if using) to a large bowl.
- Add all seasonings (except salt) and lemon juice and toss with hands until everything is coated with herbs and juice.
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- Let sit for around 20-30 minutes at room temperature while oven heats
- Add salt, 1/2-1 tsp, and toss to mix.
- Line a pan with parchment paper and add veggies, giving them some room around each other.
- Make sure not to dump them out of the bowl! You don’t want all that liquid from the bottom of the bowl all over your pan.
- Bake at 350* for 20-25 minutes, checking at 20, especially if your oven runs hot.
That’s it! Simple, quick, and healthy. Enjoy!